The 10th EPSO Conference
was held in London, October the 21st and 22nd, 2010
(free of charge for EPSO members)
Programme of the 10th EPSO Conference
and General Meeting
October the 21st and 22nd, 2010
103 - 105 Bunhill Row
London EC1Y 8TG England, UK
Main topics of the London conference, October the 21st and October the 22nd:
a. Methods of inspection , the outcome of the questionnaire on Methods of Inspection, by Savio Toson (England)
b. How do supervisory bodies deal with Patient safety by Sandra Eismann (England);
How to deal with patient safety from a regional European perspective, by Alexander Friedrich (Germany) ;
How is the EU dealing with patient safety in relation to EUNetPas Presentation by Margaret Galbraith (France)
c. Handling of Patients’ information by the supervisors /regulators /monitoring authorities; by Alex Mears (England);
October 21st, 2010
15:45–16:00 Registering and welcome Session /networking
START OF THE CONFERENCE
16.00 – 16.30 Informal exchange of information on EPSO activities and ongoing work of the EPSO working groups, presented by the chairs of the working groups.
Follow up on past topics:
- Clinical indicators and Quality Indicators (a quick update by Alex Mears England);
- Human Rights (a quick update by Virginia Mc Vea, Northern Ireland).
16:30–17:15 Presentations on possible new working group topics
Proposed working group topics:
- European Directive cross border health care (discussion on recent developments within the EU);
- Peer review, visitation by colleagues from EPSO countries, short presentation by Geir Sverre Braut (Norway);
- Preparing for the Belfast conference Autumn 2011, a short presentation and discussion by Phelim Quinn (Northern Ireland:
a. Preparing for a questionnaire to compare the approaches being used by EPSO Member organisations on the topic of “ Impact of the of the world wide and national recessions on health care supervision” , (the way in which supervisory organisations are developing their approaches to regulate in the current, austere, financial context i.e. the impact of the world wide and national recessions on the health and social care systems and the reaction of supervisors to those changed circumstances.
b. The methodology of "scoring and grading of health institutions" , with emphasis on specific supervision and performance management of hospital and healthcare facility hygiene and infection control policy and practice.
17:15-17:45 Relations with external partners of EPSO
17:45–19:45 Networking: optional walk around Smithfield’s market and drinks in one of London’s oldest pubs (at your own expenses).
19:45 – Meet at Jury’s Inn hotel lobby.
20:00–22:00 Informal dinner near the hotel on invitation of the CQC, Care Quality Commission: food and soft drinks only; alcoholic drinks can be bought separately at own expenses by delegates.
October 22nd, 2010
8:15–9:00 EPSO Board meeting;
(for the board members only)
9:00–9:30 EPSO - board meeting with mr Charles Shaw as a representative of the Executive Board of ESQH (European Society for Quality in Healthcare, www.esqh.net)
on opportunities for collaboration, exchange of information or other forms of co-operation between EPSO and ESQH.
October 22nd, 2010
START OF THE CONFERENCE
9:30–9:45 OPENING by the Chairman (Geir Sverre Braut, Norway);
9:45–10:15 Presentation of the first Results of the EPSO working group on Patient Safety, based on the outcome of the questionnaire on patient safety, by Sandra Eismann (England)
10:15–10:45 Presentation by professor Alexander Friedrich (Germany, University of Muenster) as a guest speaker on the topic of “relevant developments and challenges for supervision on patient safety in the EU Regions";
11:00–11:30 Discussion on Patient Safety handling by inspectorates, supervisors, monitoring authorities, chaired by Sandra Eismann (England)
11:30–12:00 The outcome of the “EUNetPas “project in the perspective of the future developments in Europe on patient safety by Margaret Galbraith (France)
13:00–13:30 Methods of inspection: Presentation of the final results of the EPSO Questionnaire on Methods of inspection and discussion on the outcome, presented by Savio Toson (England);
13:30–14:15 Discussion about the first results of the EPSO Questionnaire on the use of ‘intelligence’ by European regulators inspectorates and supervisory organizations presented by Alex Mears (England)
15:00-15:30 Practical issues of EPSO
· Planning and preparing for the Conferences in Tromsø, Norway, Spring 2011 (May 24th and 25th), Northern Ireland, October 2011 and France Spring 2012 (?) and Netherlands Autumn 2012 (?) ;
· Preparing for other upcoming Conferences in the future (suggestions about new topics and hosting offers by EPSO members);
· Possible new members;
· Further: what comes up; additional items; ideas; suggestions.
15:30–16:15 Start of the ‘General meeting’ as referred to in Article 4.1.2 of the Terms of Reference of EPSO (introduced by Geir Sverre Braut, chairman EPSO board)
a. Adoption of the electoral procedure as proposed by the board (see Annex 1)
b. Presentation of the ( new) candidate board members;
c. Election of the incoming EPSO board 2011–2013;
d. EPSO budget 2011- 2013 and EPSO Membership
16:15 Closing of the meeting by the Chair
17:00-18:00 Informal drinks and Networking (at your own expenses) at the Champagne bar Vertigo 42 on top of one of the highest buildings in London with a spectacular view. Please do have a look at the venue: http://www.vertigo42.co.uk (note that prices are relatively high).
London Conference Final list of participants:
Program of the 9th EPSO Conference
on May 20th and 21st 2010
in Tallinn, Estonia
at the Meriton Grand Conference & SPA Hotel
List of Participants Final
List of participants Estonia
Main themes : Complaints handling by health inspectorates and Human Rights inrelation to Health inspection, regulation and monitoring
May 20th, 2010
15:45–16:00 Registering and welcome session /networking
START OF THE CONFERENCE
Informal exchange of information on activities and ongoing work of the EPSO working groups, presented by the chairs of the working groups:
• Working group on Methods of inspection and regulation introduction and presentation of the Questionnaire, by Savio Toson (England);
Presentation of a new EPSO research proposal on the approach of European health regulators assessing and regulating patient safety (by Sandra Eismann, presented by Alex Mears, both England); click here to see the presentation by Alex Mears on patient safety;
Objective: The study aims to identify and compare the overall approach European health regulators take in regulating and assessing patient safety; and to identify further areas for collaborations between EPSO (European Partnership for Supervisory Organizations in Health Services and Social Care) members.
Presentations on possible new working group topics
Proposed new working group topics:
• How to deal with ‘Supervising on malpractice by health care professionals crossing borders and ongoing work of the HCPCB working group chaired by mr. Per Haugum’ (in preparation for the EPSO conference in 2011 in Tromsø, Norway . Presentation by Per Haugum( the Norwegian authorisation office) click here to see the presentation of Per Haugum on malpractice and Jan Vesseur (the Netherlands), click here to see the presentation of Jan Vesseur on malpractice;
• Dealing with Information from patients: How to deal with information from patients by the supervisors /regulators /monitoring authorities; Handling of Patients’ information in relation to privacy legislation, complaints, quality of care, and the use of the information for other purposes;
Presentation by Alex Mears (England); click here to see the presentation by Alex Mears on user voice.
Networking / Drinks in the Piano bar of the Meriton Grand Conference & SPA Hotel
(at your own expenses);
Informal dinner in the hotel on invitation of the Estonian Terviseamet Health Board
(Since January 1, 2010 the three Estonian governmental health authorities - Health Protection Inspectorate, Health Care Board and Chemicals Notification Centre are united into the Terviseamet Health Board).
May 21st, 2010
8:15 EPSO Board meeting for the board members only
START OF THE CONFERENCE
Opening by the Chairman (Geir Sverre Braut, Norway);
Presentation of the Discussion paper and Results of the EPSO working group on Complaints, based on the outcome of the questionnaire on complaints and the meeting in Brussels in February 2010, by Krist Debruyn (Flemish inspectorate, Belgium) ; click here to see the presentation on the results of the questionnaire on complaints.
Short Presentations (10 to 15 minutes each) of members of the EPSO Complaints working group on specific issues:
• Handling of Unreasonable Complainants and what we learned from it: a Northern Irish experience presented by Theresa Nixon (Northern Ireland);
See for the toolkit of the australian ombudsman that was mentioned by Theresa Nixon:
see also: The Northern Irish document on Complaints Handling
• Selection (‘triage’) of complaints by the Rusthuisinfofoon (complaints line for nursing homes in Belgium) by Krist Debruyn, (Flemish inspectorate, Belgium);click here to see the presentation on 'rusthuisinfofoon' by Krist Debruyn.
General introduction to a ‘scientific approach’ of complaints handling related to supervision, inspection, regulation and monitoring of health care, from a legal perspective, presented by professor Johan Legemaate;click here to see the presentation of professor Legemaate
Discussion on Complaints Handling by inspectorates, supervisors, monitoring authorities, based on and the keywords selected from the discussionpaper (chaired by Paul Robben (The Netherlands) and Krist Debruyn (Belgium); click here to see the discussionpaper.
Discussion based on the Norwegian questionnaire on Human Rights in relation to health inspection, presented to the participants of the Tallinn conference by the Norwegian Health inspectorate, presented by Geir Sverre Braut (Norway);
Presentation from the Norwegian perspective on Human Rights and supervision in Health Care by professor Olav Molven; click here to see the presentation of professor Molven.
Practical issues of EPSO
• Planning for future EPSO co-operation and Research;
• Planning and preparing for the Conferences in London, England, Autumn 2010 (October the 21st and 22nd) and Tromsø, Norway, Spring 2011 (May 24th and 25th) and autumn 2011;
• Preparing for other upcoming Conferences in the future (suggestions on new topics and hosting offers by EPSO members);
• New members;
16:15 Closing by the Chair